The Dong'an Guild Hall is one of Singapore's long-established Chinese clan associations. It was founded in 1870 and is a geographical organization of immigrants from the two counties of Baoan, Guangdong, China. Since its inception, along with the social changes and developments of Singapore from the colonial era to the independent state, the Dongan Guild has gone through nearly one hundred and forty years of history.
Like other Chinese clan associations in Singapore, the Dongan Guild, founded in the colonial era of Singapore, was designed to take care of the work and life of the first-time counterparts in Nanyang and to undertake some of the social functions that the colonial government did not undertake. Most of the members of the club before the Second World War were a group of working women living in Chinatown. They work in maids, buildings, tree-cutting films (sisters) and hawkers, and they are poor and simple.
After the end of World War II, due to the surge in the entrance of Singapore, the number of members of the hall increased to more than 3,000, and the conference halls also flourished. In 1923, the Guild established the Chinese Dongan Yixue in the clubhouse. It is a primary elementary school. The two immigrant children of Dongguan Baoan can receive free education here. The school was closed during the Japanese occupation period.